This Month's Moon Phases

Saturday, June 02, 2007

In Loving Memory of Cheryl S. Goodman



It was a year ago today that my mother left the world of the living. I miss her so much. I called my father today and he sounds pretty depressed, understandably.

I want to create a scholarship in my mother's name for low-income college-enrolled students who hail from Camden City, New Jersey. I had strongly considered Temple's College of Education, since they have an urban education component to their studies. My mother, Cheryl Stern Goodman, was a '66 Temple alumnus (I believe it was 1966). She passed away June 2, 2006. I am planning to commemorate my mother's life and 40-year education career through helping other future teachers. My mother grew up in Philadelphia, attended Girls' High, taught in the City of Philadelphia and then later in Camden City, NJ. She was an accomplished elementary school teacher dedicated to her students and to urban education.

But while Temple University's College of Education is an outstanding school and a seemingly perfect fit for a scholarship in which to honor the memory of my mother, I was discouraged by the high out-of-state tuition (almost $18,000 per semester, as opposed to just under $10,000 for PA residents). We are unsure how much of an impact a meager $1,200 scholarship (interest from a $25,000 endowment, which is my initial fundraising goal) would make for a low-income student who hails from Camden, NJ.

Upon consideration of the high out-of-state tuition, I am more inclined to keep a scholarship local in the Camden City/County area. While I personally feel that Temple is by far one of the best colleges in which a student can immerse her/himself in urban education studies, the importance of a disadvantaged student getting a college degree - any college degree - far outweighs the importance of choosing a specific major.

In my heart, I would prefer to create a scholarship specific to education, so I am still on the hunt for a local (New Jersey) school that might at least partially satisfy this requirement. However, we may be willing to choose a school that does not offer a major with an urban or childhood education component, in order that we may give a qualified low-income student from Camden City, NJ a chance at higher education.

3 comments:

Brian Barrish said...

The scholarship fund sounds like a wonderful idea, Shira.
I know a woman who teaches young children in the Camden public schools. She tells me some heartbreaking stories about what many of these children face. They really need to know that there are people out there who believe in them.

Lisa said...

Why didn't you mention this to me in between the phone's battery dying; being "allowed" to order Sarah Harry Potter; Chris not allowed to graduate;Justin turning 13;and me melting into a puddle with auburn hair??? That is an awesome idea. Your mom would be so proud of you (as if she isn't already).
You know I love you and got your back every square inch of the way. Let us know what we can do.
:)

Unknown said...

Mrs.Goodman. She was my 5th grade teacher in Davis School. I always thought of her as the years went by. She was so nice and helped me love myself when others bullied me. Sleep In Paradise.